Zyrtec contains the active substance cetirizine. Also note the special effect of Zyrtec .
Cetirizine is used to treat skin allergic reactions. These include certain forms of eczema, hives, itching or skin reactions to insect bites.
Cetirizine can also be used in allergic conjunctivitis of the eyes. These are often associated with redness, itching or increased tearing.
In the respiratory tract, the drug is used to treat allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and allergic bronchial asthma.
Young women and African-Americans have facial and neck swelling (angioedema) following the ingestion of certain active ingredients, the consumption of various foods, insect bites or physical stimuli (eg heat, cold and light). Cetirizine can also be used in these cases.
The active substance is administered as a tablet, drops or juice.
For the following application areas of Cetirizine , in-depth information is available:
Please also read the information on the drug groups H1-antihistamines, antiallergic drugs, to which the active ingredient cetirizine belongs.
Areas of application according to the manufacturer’s instructions
- Hay fever with symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, nose itching, nasal obstruction, redness or itching of the eyes, and tears
- chronic allergic rhinitis
- in asthma-like conditions of allergic origin as a supportive measure to suppress such complaints
- chronic hives with symptoms such as itching, wheals and redness of the skin
- itching in chronic hives
and in eczema with discomfort such as
Redness of the skin
The dosage and duration of use depend on the type and severity of the disease. If in doubt, ask your doctor.
The tablets are swallowed whole with some liquid.
Dosage recommendation for adolescents from the age of twelve and adults:
– one tablet in the evening. If necessary, a dose increase to twice daily (morning and evening) one tablet is possible.
Dosage recommendation for children from two to twelve years:
– under 30 kilograms of body weight: half a tablet in the evening.
– About 30 kilograms of body weight: twice a day (morning and evening) half a tablet.
In case of impaired renal function, the dose must be adjusted accordingly.
The following non-active ingredients are included in the medicine:
- microcrystalline cellulose
- titanium dioxide (E 171)
- Macrogol 400