Skip to content
- Central nervous system and peripheral nervous system: very often – dizziness, ataxia, drowsiness, general weakness; often – headache, diplopia, impaired vision accommodation (eg, blurred vision); sometimes – abnormal involuntary movements (eg, tremor, “fluttering” tremor / asterixis /, dystonia, tics); nystagmus;
- Psychic sphere: rarely – hallucinations (visual or auditory), depression, loss of appetite, anxiety, aggressive behavior, agitation, disorientation;
- Allergic reactions: very often allergic skin reactions, urticaria, which can be very pronounced; sometimes – exfoliative dermatitis, erythroderma; rarely – lupus-like syndrome, itching;
- Dermatological reactions: very rarely photosensitivity, multiform erythema, skin pigmentation disorders, purpura, acne, increased sweating, hair loss.
- Hematopoiesis system: very often – leukopenia; often – thrombocytopenia, eosinophilia; rarely – leukocytosis, lymphadenopathy, deficiency of folic acid;
- Liver: very often – an increase in the level of gamma-glutamyltransferase (due to the induction of this enzyme in the liver), which usually has no clinical significance; often – increasing the level of alkaline phosphatase; sometimes – increased levels of transaminases; rarely – hepatitis of cholestatic, parenchymal (hepatocellular) or mixed type, jaundice;
- Digestive tract: very often – nausea, vomiting; often – dry mouth; sometimes – diarrhea or constipation, abdominal pain;
- Hypersensitivity reactions: rarely – multi-organ hypersensitivity of the delayed type with fever, skin rashes, vasculitis, lymphadenopathy, signs resembling lymphoma, arthralgia, leukopenia, eosinophilia, hepatosplenomegaly and altered liver function (these manifestations occur in various combinations).
- Cardiovascular system: rarely – violations of intracardiac conduction; arterial hypertension or hypotension; very rarely – bradycardia, arrhythmias, AV blockade with syncope, collapse, congestive heart failure, exacerbation of IHD, thrombophlebitis, thromboembolic syndrome.
- Endocrine system and metabolism: often – swelling, fluid retention, weight gain, hyponatremia and decreased plasma osmolarity due to an effect similar to that of antidiuretic hormone, which in rare cases leads to hyponatremia of the dilution, accompanied by lethargy, vomiting, headache, disorientation and neurological disorders;
- Genitourinary system: very rarely – interstitial nephritis, renal failure, renal dysfunction (e.g., albuminuria, hematuria, oliguria, urea/azotemia), frequent urination, urinary retention, impotence.
- Senses: very rarely – a violation of taste sensations, clouding of the lens, conjunctivitis; hearing disorders, incl. noise in the ears, hyperacusia, changes in perception of the height of sound.
- Musculoskeletal system: very rarely – arthralgia, muscle pain or cramps.
- Respiratory system: very rarely – hypersensitivity reactions from the lungs, characterized by fever, dyspnea, pneumonitis or pneumonia.
Potential Tegretol side effects may include: