Following is information on contraindications to the use of norfloxacin in general, pregnancy & amp; Breastfeeding and children. Please note that the contraindications may vary depending on the dosage form of a drug (eg tablet, syringe, ointment).
When should norfloxacin not be used?
Norfloxacin should not be used with
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or other gyrase inhibitors (such as ciprofloxacin, moxifloxacin, levofloxacin)
- Patients who have ever had tendinitis or tendon rupture while receiving a gyrase inhibitor.
Only after careful medical consideration of benefit and risk of the drug should be used in
- Epilepsy and patients with diseases of the brain such as tendencies to convulsions, cramps, decreased cerebral blood flow, changes in brain structure or stroke
- mental illness because of the danger of aggravation
- severely impaired kidney function
- Myasthenia gravis, because it can lead to egg deterioration.
However, the administration of norfloxacin as an eye-drop is possible in all these cases. The exception is only for patients with known hypersensitivity to the drug.
What should you watch out for during pregnancy and lactation?
Norfloxacin should not be given as eye drops during pregnancy and breast-feeding. The safety of this group of patients has not yet been sufficiently demonstrated. The active ingredient also enters the umbilical cord blood and the amniotic fluid. However, animal experiments have shown no evidence of a teratogenic effect.
Whether norfloxacin passes into breast milk is not yet known. Therefore, women should abstain before treatment. This also applies to the use of the active ingredient in eye drops.
What should be considered in children?
Children and adolescents of growing age should not receive norfloxacin. For this age group, the efficacy and safety has not been sufficiently demonstrated. In addition, norfloxacin has been used in animal experiments to cause articular cartilage damage in the non-adult organism.
Warnings and Precautions
- Concomitant use of the drug with milk and whey products should be avoided.
- Coffee consumption during treatment should be limited as otherwise aggravation may occur.
- The skin must be protected from direct sunlight during treatment by appropriate clothing and sun protection factors. It is not recommended to visit the solarium.
- When using eye drops, contact lenses should be avoided during treatment.
- Avoid physical overuse during treatment as it can make it easier to tear tendons.
- The drug can trigger a myasthenia gravis boost. If respiratory distress occurs after taking the drug, seek medical advice immediately.
- In patients with a deficiency in the enzyme glucose-6-dehydrogenase, the drug can cause blood clotting disorders.
- Before starting treatment with the drug, the heart function should be checked by the doctor.
- If kidney function is impaired, the doctor should prescribe a lower dose.
- A lot should be drunk during treatment to prevent crystal formation in the urine.
- The drug can affect the responsiveness to the extent that driving and operating the machine are dangerous. This is especially true in conjunction with alcohol.
Sometimes medications release allergic reactions.
If you notice any signs of allergic reaction, tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately.