Manufacturer: Bayer Vital GmbH – Active ingredient: acetylsalicylic acid
dosage form: tablet
1.) The active substance must not be administered at:
- Hypersensitivity to acetylsalicylic acid or other salicylates
- acute stomach or intestinal ulcers – they worsen by ingestion
- increased bleeding tendency, which could be aggravated by ingestion
- Liver and kidney failure
- severe untreated myocardial insufficiency
- Methotrexate (from 15 milligrams methotrexate / week).
2.) Only for medical benefit-risk consideration should acetylsalicylic acid be used in:
- co-administration with other anticoagulant medicinal products (heparin other than low-dose heparin therapy and coumarin derivatives such as phenprocoumon)
- Asthma, due to the risk of triggering asthma attacks
- Hypersensitivity to other anti-inflammatories, anti-inflammatory drugs or general allergy
- history of gastric or intestinal ulcers or history of gastrointestinal bleeding
- previously damaged kidney
- severe liver dysfunction
- operations (even small ones).
What should you watch out for during pregnancy and lactation?
In the first two-thirds of pregnancy, the drug should only be taken after consulting a doctor. In studies on animals, acetylsalicylic acid has led to malformations of the unborn child, especially when high doses were administered in the first trimester of pregnancy. The risk of malformations seems to be low for normal amounts of intake for a short time.
Acetylsalicylic acid must not be used in the last trimester of pregnancy. Otherwise, mother and child can be seriously injured by an increased tendency to bleed. In addition, the birth process can be significantly delayed and prolonged by an inhibition of labor activity.
Acetylsalicylic acid passes into breast milk. With regular use of high doses of acetylsalicylic acid it is advisable to give birth. The liver of the baby can not sufficiently detoxify the active ingredient taken with the mother’s milk.
What should be considered in children?
Acetylsalicylic acid should be used in children and adolescents with febrile illnesses only on medical advice and only if other measures against fever and body aches do not work.
If persistent vomiting occurs during treatment with the drug, it may be a sign of Reye syndrome, a very rare but potentially life-threatening disease that requires immediate medical attention.
- In case of bloody vomiting, blood stools, blood in the urine or bloody diarrhea, seek medical advice immediately.
- Acute poisoning after initial rapid respiration (hyperventilation), in disorders of the acid-base balance of the blood and can lead to death by respiratory paralysis, dehydration, overheating of the body and possibly unconsciousness. Quick medical attention is needed.
- Before surgery, the doctor or dentist must be informed about the use of the drug.
- If dizziness or hearing noises occur when taking the medicine, immediately notify a doctor.
- Prolonged vomiting in children or adolescents after taking the drug may indicate a life-threatening Reye syndrome. Therefore, inform a doctor immediately.
- The medication should not be used for long periods of time or in higher doses without consulting a doctor as it may cause kidney damage.
- If infections occur or become worse while the medicine is being used, the doctor should be consulted immediately.
- Long-term use of the drug can cause headaches that should not be controlled with increased doses.
- When using the drug for blood thinning, do not take ibuprofen-containing medicine.
- Children under the age of 14 are only allowed to take the drug after consulting a doctor!
Medicines can cause allergic reactions. Signs can be:
Redness of the skin, runny nose, itching, mucosal swelling, itching and redness of the eyes,
Narrowing of the respiratory tract (asthma). In rare cases it can cause allergic shock with unconsciousness
If you notice signs of an allergic reaction, inform a doctor immediately.